5/18/2010

Making a Miniature Rock Garden

It has been cold (8-10°C) for a few days, with awful winds and rain. However, this is better for the new miniature rock garden made last week, than 25°.

In fact there was an old one overgrown with not too interesting plants, which was remade.

This was the old:


I have made it some years ago when I was an absolutely beginner. Now I am just a beginner :))


And here is how I made the new
1. On the bottom I put a layer of 6-8 mm granite grit, then the compost, in which I put the stones brought from the mount Ortler:




That is a Draba parnassica seedling, moved from the old trough. I don't know if it will live...

2. Between the stones was filled with the following mix (of mine): sharper and finer sand, perlite, granite grit, vermiculite, a small amount of peat and a small amount (about 1/10 part) of garden soil:




Then I watered and planned the planting,


and then I left it alone for a day for three reasons:
  • the compost to subside
  • to sleep over the plan
  • I had no more time at that moment
Next day I made a new plan :) and planted in the seedlings. They all are this year's seedlings. They are still very young but have already true leaves. My main tools for planting:



The new trough is not yet too showy, I left also free spaces, because Campanula zoysii is germinating!!! Here is a picture with plant names:



It was christened the "Slatespot" (=pot/trough with slates). I hope that in a year I can show a more interesting picture.

No comments: