5/28/2010

Androsace Cuttings

The Androsace sarmentosa made a lot of red runners. I had to cut them up, because in that trough there is no more space for new plants to root. But some of the new plantlets had already nice little roots formed:


So they were ready for making cuttings. I cleared them from the runners and the lower leaves:


I use for rooting medium coconut fibres. I like it more then peat and sand. But it also has no nutrients in it, so the rooted cuttings must be planted out in normal compost. For to avoid this, I put on the bottom of the pots compost and I hope the roots will grow in it. The cuttings were put in a 1 cm layer of coconut fibre.



I observed that the hairy leaves of the Androsace sarmentosa don't like too much moisture, the pots have not to be covered with anything, just to avoid drying out. When the color of the coconut fibre becomes a lighter brown, I water it.

No comments: