8/25/2010

Repotting Some Seedlings – 1

This is one of my 'to do's at the end of Summer. Those seedlings which grow quite rapidly (for example Cortusa matthioli) were already pricked in May but I do not repot the slower ones in Spring because the coming hot days would kill them. I have already some bad experiences. I prick them out at the end of August when at least the nights are cooler. Yesterday I had only an hour so I repotted only two of the many waiting seedlings.

Hepatica nobilis ssp. americana 

I've got the seeds from Canada in 2008. Part of them germinated in Spring 2009, and some germinated this Spring. The seedlings germinated this Spring look like this now:


And here are a one year old and a new seedling, potted together:


And another one put in the "shade garden":


Last year I did not repot the germinated seedlings at all, so now the "old" (with real leaves) and the "young" (only with cotyledons) seedlings had to be pricked.


Cortusa matthioli 'Alba' 

I've got the seeds last Autumn from Norway.  These were pricked already in Spring but they have grown so much since that that I thought it would be good to put them in larger pots before Winter.


Here is one placed in that "shade garden":


Our "shade garden" is in fact a window box placed under a lime tree (Tilia platyphyllos) which lives in a large pot and makes good shade against the midday sun. Only a Dodecatheon  gets more sun than the others living in the "shade garden". The other inhabitants are: one Cyclamen purpurascens, one Hosta lancifolia 'Minima', one Anemone nemorosa 'Westwell Pink', another older Hepatica nobilis, and now the two newcomers.


In the foreground you can see a Picea glauca 'Conica' who also is protected by the Tilia from the hot.

No comments: